Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /usr/www/users/africxuhjw/wp-content/plugins/revslider/includes/framework/functions-wordpress.class.php on line 258
The Twyfelfontein Excursion can be done as a day trip from Tualuka Safari Lodge or as an add on to our Skeleton Coast Tour. The petrified forest, Burnt Mountain and Dolomite Organ Pipe rock formations form part of this excursion. From Tualuka Safari Lodge this is a full day trip and recommended for children.
Twyfelfontein is Africa’s largest rock art concentration. There are estimated to be over 2000 rock engravings and paintings.
Twyfelfontein ( The Fountain of Doubt) valley has been inhabited by Stone-age hunter-gatherers of the Wilton stone age culture group since approximately 6,000 years ago. They made most of the engravings and probably all the paintings. 2,000 to 2,500 years ago the Khoikhoi, an ethnic group related to the San (Bushmen), occupied the valley, then known under its Damara/Nama name ǀUi-ǁAis (jumping waterhole). The Khoikhoi also produced rock art which can clearly be distinguished from the older engravings.
The Petrified forest, located some 40 kilometres west of the Namibian town of Khorixas, on the C39 road, is a deposit of large tree trunks that have “turned to stone” through a process of diagenesis. There are at least two large tree trunks exposed to view and more may be out of sight. The site was declared a National Monument on 1 March 1950. It is believed that the trees were swept downstream by a large flood and covered by alluvial sands. Deprived of air, the organic matter could not rot and decay, but instead, over millions of years, underwent silicification, whereby each cell is individually fossilised and the appearance, if not the colour, of wood is retained. The surrounding sands became sandstone, which is now eroding away.
In addition, there are a large number of welwitschia plants at the site.