Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /usr/www/users/africxuhjw/wp-content/plugins/revslider/includes/framework/functions-wordpress.class.php on line 258
The Skeleton Coast Excursion forms part of our Extended Tours and can be added to the front or the back of your Safaris. A minimum of 2 days and 3 nights is recommended for this excursion. Various options of accommodation is available and can be customized to fit individual budget requirements. We do recommend this excursion for children, please just advise us on their interest in order for us to make recommendations on travel and activities for them.
The Skeleton Coast is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Namibia and there are various activities and fine dining to do along the coastline. We highly recommend the desert ATV tour and fishing excursion, these form part of our standard three day tour to the Skeleton Coast.
The coast is named after the beached whale and seal bones which covered the shore when the whaling industry was still active, as well as the skeletal shipwrecks caused by rocks offshore in the fog.
On the coast the up-welling of the cold Benguela current gives rise to dense ocean fog for much of the year. The winds blow from land to sea, rain fall rarely exceeds 10 millimetres (0.39 in) annually and the climate is inhospitable. There is a constant, heavy surf on the beaches. In the days of human-powered boats it was possible to get ashore through the surf but impossible to launch from the shore. The only way out was by going through a marsh hundreds of miles long and only accessible through a hot and arid desert.
ATV Desert adventures.
The Namibian coastline has a lot to offer. Apart from having spectacular desert coastline scenery, the three coastal towns of Swakopmund, Henties Bay and Walvis Bay, will provide all the activities you could ask for on a family vacation.You can dune board and quad bike some of the highest sand dunes in the world, go camel riding in the desert, take the family out onto the Atlantic Ocean for a sundowner dolphin and seal cruise or visit the Cape Fur Seal colony at Cape Cross.
It is also highly recommended to do a Historian Dune Tour (3 hours) tour on ATV
The prehistoric Kuiseb River is older than the Namib Desert (the oldest desert in the world) and therefore the tour by Kuiseb Delta Adventures promises to be filled with interesting sights and facts, allowing visitors the ability to enjoy the tranquility of being in a desert dune region. The tour highlights and includes:
• Details on how the delta came into being, why the delta developed, what the area was like before the “Sea of Sand” succeeded to cross the river and why the river and the dunes are the reasons for existence for the underground fresh water aquifer.
• Details on the formation of Sandwich Harbour and Walvis Bay.
• Scientific information on the underground fresh water aquifer and why it is endangered by modern man.
• Visiting different kind of dunes that exist in the delta and detailed explanations of how the different shapes are formed, how much they move in a given time and what the gradient of a slip face is and why it never differs.
• Details and evidence of why the dunes have different colours.
• Evidence of five different stages as a dune moves over a tree as well as over a Narra plant.
• Examining the desert fruit, the !Nara and the Sirub, explaining how the plants adapted to this particularly harsh environment, sampling what the fruit tastes like (in season) and how it is harvested and used by the Topnaars (ancient local inhabitants claiming to be a tribe of the Khoi-Khoin) as well as by the animals.
• Details about the present animals (jackal, elephant shrew, oryx), birds (pale chanting goshawk, dune lark (endemic) & Damara tern (endemic)), reptiles (snakes & lizards) and some of the insects that live in the delta. Sometimes we are able to show them some of these living creatures.
• Visit and explore the different intact Topnaar middens (old living places).
• View what these ancient inhabitants of Namibia ate, used as tools/implements and as body ornaments.
• Show physical evidence of petrified tracks of the Topnaars and their goats.
• Show centuries-old ostrich eggshells that was used by the Topnaars to keep water in and was preserved being covered by dune sand all the time.
• We also show them numerous petrified tracks of almost all the present land animals of Namibia e.g.
Elephant, rhino, buffalo, eland, oryx, kudu, giraffe, baboon, cheetah, steenbok, etc.
• Lastly, visitors are shown amazing evidence why the Namibian coast is called the “Skeleton Coast”
The tour is an unforgettable experience that will certainly make visitors realize that there is life in the desert regions. Do not miss this wonderful opportunity and do not forget your camera to immortalize this wonderful experience.
The three hour tour is done on fully automatic quad bikes and is suitable for the rider with no previous experience, even for children and healthy elderly people. Although this quad tour differs vastly from the “dune bashing tours” offered by all other quad bike operators at the Namibian coast, it gives the riders lots of fun to drive their own quads in the dunes and to safely play a little, if they so wish. The wearing of safety helmets is compulsory. The tours are done usually in the mornings only, because of prevailing winds, but the weather permitting, tours are also done in the afternoons. Soft drinks are included.